Safaga (Luxor), Egypt
Safaga is a small resort town located on the Red Sea. It is the gateway to the ancient city of Luxor.
Where You're Docked
Cruise ships dock in Port Safaga 1/2 mile to the south of the town or at a commercial pier further south if berths aren't available.
View Larger Map
Money & Tipping
||Egypt's currency is the Egyptian Pound (EGP) commonly appreviated as LE. US dollars are widely accepted especially in tourist areas. Baksheesh (tipping) is a common custom though annoying if someone follows you around wanting to act as your guide. Try to get some one pound coins to tip toilet attendants and they also make a nice souvenir since they have a picture of King Tut on them. Tips in restaurant should be around 10% and toilet attendants should be given 3-5 LE.
If you want to go to Luxor, it is recommended to take a tour, either a ship-sponsored or private organized one since it is three hours away.
Search hotels in Safaga here
Search hotels in Luxor here
Safaga is a small holiday resort and a favourite scuba diving spot. Most attractions can be found in Luxor.
Luxor - Prices updated Dec 2011.
- Valley of the Kings - Contains many tombs the most famous being King Tutankhamun's. Entry is 80 LE and includes admission to three tombs and a train ride from the parking lot. The recommended ones are Tomb of Ramesses VI (KV9 - extra fee required), Tomb of Merneptah (KV8) and Tomb of Thutmose III (KV34). Not all tombs will be open. King Tut's tomb is an extra 100 LE and not recommended if you have limited time since is smaller and less decorated than the other ones.
- Karnak Temple - This temple complex is the biggest in Egypt and has a row of rams at the entrance and an impressive colonnade. Entry 65 LE.
- Luxor Temple - Contains large statues of Ramses II. Entry 50 LE.
- The Temple of Hatshepsut, Deir el-Bahari - Funerary temple of the Queen Hatshepsut with a magnificent entrance. Entry 34 LE.
- Colossi OF Memnon - These two large statues are not in the best condition
Maps (right-click to save)
View Larger Map
Valley of the Kings
Luxor Weather Forecast
Click for weather forecast